Friday, January 6, 2017

Introduction

About the blog:
Hello, and welcome to the blog! The purpose of this blog is to post daily blurbs about Roman history, which for the sake of content I will consider to be between the date of the founding myth of Rome up until the fall of the Byzantine Empire. This blog has been inspired due to the fact that I had desired a calendar that had a daily fact pertaining to Roman history. After some searching around the internet and coming up empty handed, I decided to make one for some personal enjoyment.

I will be interested to see if I can even find information out there for every day of the year. If I can not find something, I will still look to post daily with a historic Roman event that is at least close to the desired date. The content I hope to post will be factual in its nature and will probably often contain my personal opinion and reflection on these events, in which case it will clearly be labeled as such.

About me:
I am by no means a professional. My fascination of history has been a part of me for a large portion of my life, and to be more specific, I love classical history. To get even more specific, I love early republican era Rome. To get down right silly specific, I enjoy the era of Roman Mediterranean domination during the time of The Second Punic War. My desire to learn more began to concentrate itself after playing a computer game titled Rome: Total War in mid 2004, when twelve year-old me wondered just how accurate these depicted scenes were. Recently, I have been inspired by many works of literature I have read, both ancient and modern alike. I have been deeply inspired by the work of Mike Duncan's The History of Rome podcast, in the sense that a large amount of Roman history is like most other history; seemingly massive and at times dry, even to a history buff. It can even get dry and confusing to an avid Roman history addict as well. I hope to concisely draw upon some of the more interesting highlights within this history, and blog daily about it in an "on this day in history" style.

I am starting this blog on the 6th of January, 2017. I will post the first "on this day in history" starting with January 6th. If I can actually stay true to my project for a full year I might just actually get to post about the first 5 days in January next year in early 2018.

Cheers,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment